Sunday, March 9, 2008

Hopefully this will end the "Fireworks"

Ok – Métis Mama is on a learning curve with Blogging. When I set up the post the other day about the “Cultural Genocide” I was not referring to the Métis Nation. I was sent a post that was copied from another Blogger that I do not know. I was not impressed and I did not post it – It was more then disgusting, racist and defamatory to First Nations people. Now I know that everyone has an ability to express their personal opinion but in my opinion racial profiling of any group of people is just wrong. The cultural genocide/assimilation that I was inferring to is more the genocide of the First Nation people. For anyone that does not believe it existed read the history about the Beothuk people of the east coast when the Vikings arrived. Or refresh your history around the documented stories in relation to the alleged germ warfare that Lord Jeffery Amherst allegedly perpetuated during the Seven Year War in the mid 1700’s when he took Canada from the French from the British.

I am humored though – now we have gone from sharing views about a Métis Land Claim Case to somehow being identified by Frank Goden as a non working, non functional race of people seeking government handouts. I do understand that we are a part of our experiences and I do not know Frank’s experience – but I do know this – I frankly (no pun intended) do not have the experience of my community looking for handouts. I believe I have expressed in the past the great pride that so many in our community have that government hand outs were not my experience. In fact, I do not believe that I have ever presented us as a disadvantaged victim group of people. In spite of our history – we are strong, vibrant and working to right the wrongs of our community by setting an example of contributing citizens of our nation.

As for ‘Cultural Assimilation’ - I do not need to assimilate or support its’ existence neither – I much prefer ‘Cultural Pluralism’. Cultural Pluralism is what Louis Riel wrote about and it values all the members of society including the uniqueness of everyone’s cultural identity. In a pluralistic culture no one has to alter their identity to co exist. The last issue that I wish to address is the marginalizing of our culture by trying to define it through a fiddle, jig and sash. Anthropological definition of culture is the sum total of ways of living built by a group of human beings and transmitted from one generation to another. Our culture developed through our shared history and experiences. It is what our forefathers passed down through us that assisted us in being the defenders of our rights, that we continue even today. We were an egalitarian society that have always demonstrated their strong connection to community and family. The term ‘Otipemisiwak’ the people that own themselves was another component of the sense of independence that was passed down through the generations. Our culture is a result of our combined ancestor’s cultures and was modified because of the experiences that are grandmothers and grandfathers experienced because of the lifestyles of the voyageurs, buffalo hunters and rebellions. Even the Supreme Court of Canada has supported these views in the Powley decision and the Manitoba Court ruling in relation to the Land Claims does not try to separate the issue of our own cultural identity and heritage.

As for Mr. Frank Goden – I am not angry with him – I respect the fact that he also is a result of his experiences – whether that is Métis, Canadian, American or Russian. As our world changes – maybe the future generations will be a great deal more like Frank’s ideology – where the cultural differences are more confused and cultural integration is more prevalent. In the meantime I will attempt to ensure that my descendents remember our forefathers history, culture, values and beliefs.

13 comments:

Frank Godon said...

Words can be deceiving and even down right confusing sometimes. I understand where you are coming from, and thankfuly my cousin and I have come to an agreement also on what we believe. I respect your views, and I also understand that not everyone, Aboriginal or non is going to agree with me. I prefer to experience my Metis culture as traditions, and live in the current ever changing Canadian culture. In fact I am not even living in Canadian culture at this moment but being ever so slowly absorbed by the westernized Russian culture. Learning a new language at my age can be difficult and down right frustrating sometimes. But I enjoy the challenges.

And before anyone accusses me of misrepresenting our Metis culture, I teach an approved course as used by the GDI and use their on line virtual museum and media as teaching tools.

What I would love more than anything is to have Metis from Canada come to give lectures about our traditions as they practice it. I would love to have hunters, trappers, craft people, fiddlers, jiggers all come. Unfortunatly I have to rely on funding for all Canadian events here in Russia and can only offer accomadations taken care of and not travel or any other compensation.

I enjoy the blogs, and the debates, and my thoughts on land claims will always remain the same, we don't need it and if we do get it, who gets it? It will cause more headaches and trouble than what we have now.

If we Metis and our FN cousins can just get over the victim syndrom, and if the government can somehow just do away with the guilt complex, then maybe we will have an opportunity to heal and come together as one nation, Canada.

Anonymous said...

MetisMama,

You were somewhat over the top with the use of the term "genocide" which explains the back peddling in your most recent posting.

Frank, if you're going to teach Russians English please learn how to spell.

Anonymous said...

Why don't you self-identify MetisMama what are you hiding?

Frank Godon said...

Hey Clare give it a break. Or don't you read the other posts where I pointed out the use of Russian computer with Russian spell check only. Duh.

MetisMama said...

Métis Mama has self identified. I am a Métis women who comes from Alberta but whose ancestors traveled the homeland. Métis Mama is a pseudonym that is fun. Many know me and some wish they didn’t.

Anonymous said...

Does anybody else see the irony in an anonymous poster demanding that Metis Mama give up her name? I know I got a giggle off of that one. I am not sure what difference it would make, because as far as I know the other bloggers are also pseudonyms, I have never met them and probably never will so it makes no difference to me - what matters is the information they provide and the discussions they evoke.

Anonymous said...

You dummy Frank it's me Will Goodon.

Anonymous said...

My guess is MetisMama is someone very, very close to Audrey Poitras.

Frank Godon said...

Ya whatever Clare.

Anonymous said...

Frank,

"With Metis Bare Facts not posting any more of my rebuttles ....."

Little wonder it's "rebuttals." The way you've written it makes it sound like something you'd feed your cat.

Your spelling is such an embarrassment I'm not going to debate with you any more. People will think we're the duelling banjos.

Cousin Will

Frank Godon said...

Ya whatever Clare.

Will Goodon said...

Metismama, Frank has it figured out and I'm sure all your readers have, too, but just in case the anonymous reader attacking Frank pretending to be me - isn't me.

Anonymous said...

Just one minute! I'm an in-bred banjo picker from Saskatchewan - I resent that comment about duelling banjos.