Thursday, March 6, 2008

Cultural Genocide or Assimilation

On my previous posted blog ("Land Claims Case - Where will this go?" ): I really appreciate the feedback/debate and enjoy a good passionate discussion – probably like most Métis. I am going to ask all our contributors to first know I will draw a few lines.

I am not racist – I do not support racism and I will not tolerate the racist presentation of undermining First Nation Cultures, Métis Cultures or anyone else’s culture by aiding in posting bigoted views on this blog. The stereotyping and racial profiling that I have witnessed in the name of free speech – is appalling and borders on the same cultural genocide that we are victims of. I believe in what Louis Riel preached about a society that had room for all of its’ parts and valued and respected the differences of each of those. A real multicultural existence.

Cultural Genocide or Assimilation (Rethinking Cultural Genocide Under International Law Human Rights Dialogue: ”Cultural Rights” (April 2005) by David Nersessian

"Cultural Genocide is a coordinated plan of different actions aiming at the destruction of essential foundations of the life of national groups, with the aim of annihilating the groups themselves. The objectives of such a plan would be disintegration of the political and social institutions, of culture, language, national feelings, religion, and the economic existence of national groups, and the destruction of the personal security, liberty, health, dignity, and even the lives of the individuals belonging to such groups. Cultural Genocide is directed against the national group as an entity, and the actions involved are directed against individuals, not in their individual capacity, but as members of the national group.

Biological genocide consists of imposing measures calculated to decrease the reproductive capacity of the group, such as involuntary sterilization or forced segregation of the sexes.


Cultural genocide extends beyond attacks upon the physical and/or biological elements of a group and seeks to eliminate its wider institutions. This is done in a variety of ways, and often includes the abolition of a group’s language, restrictions upon its traditional practices and ways, the destruction of religious institutions and objects, the persecution of clergy members, and attacks on academics and intellectuals. Elements of cultural genocide are manifested when artistic, literary, and cultural activities are restricted or outlawed and when national treasures, libraries, archives, museums, artifacts, and art galleries are destroyed or confiscated. "


I do support a Métis Nation, I do believe in Nationalism and I do believe in accountability to our people. I am a proud Metis and I will continue to support that in the presentations that are put forward. I have raised my descendents with the same values and principles that were instilled in me and if the Metis continue to do this - we will not become a fiddle or a sash or be about the occassional moose - but we will continue to be a proud nation that thrives.

Sorry Frank but I will not be posting the last blog comment you submitted. I really hope you don't support those words you took from what appears to be a very racist - not so real journalism - white supremacist blogger. I know the debate gets heated but racism and profiling are always ugly!

11 comments:

Frank Godon said...

So the truth hurts?

MetisMama said...

No - I would say racism does. Unfortunately - we are unable to alter biggoted views but we certainly never need to give them anymore audience then they should get with the Hate Crimes Division of the nearest Police Department. To promote that kind of hatred due to someone's heritage is not the way I way I was taught.

Frank Godon said...

I would say that you have the wrong idea about assimilation.

Cultural assimilation (often called merely assimilation) is a process of consistent integration whereby members of an ethno-cultural group (such as immigrants, or minority groups) are "absorbed" into an established, generally larger community. This presumes a loss of many characteristics of the absorbed group.

Assimilation can be the process through which people lose originally differentiating traits, such as dress, speech particularities or mannerisms, when they come into contact with another society or culture.

Assimilation may be voluntary, which is usually the case with immigrants, or forced upon a group, as is usually the case with the receiving "host" group or country.

A region or society where assimilation is occurring is sometimes referred to as a melting pot.

It is all too often the case when someone points out the problems in Aboriginal society they are labled as "racist", even if its the truth.

I hate racism as much as you do, and if some one told me that, "Metis are a bunch of lazy bums." then I would take offense to that. But if someone pointed out to me a group of Metis not doing anything, and crying for assistance from the government when there are jobs available to them. Then I would have to agree with them that yes these Metis in particular are "lazy bums".

Everyone can make it in this world, especially in Canada. But we Metis have become too much like our FN's cousins and want everything done for us. That is why we will always vote for the "Nanny state" governments like the Liberals and NDP. We want someone to take care of us. That is wrong. We want compensation for the wrong doings to our ancestors. That is wrong. They deserve it not us, and unfortunatley they were not able to do it. I have been helping Metis veterans fight for their compesation that was denied them. But if my father dies before that is recognised, I don't want the government to give to me what was rightfully his. I didn't suffer in a POW camp, he did.

We launch lawsuits claiming "land". If you would read the papers you would find out that ones property isn't guaranteed in Canada. The goverments can take anybodies land for good reasons. Why should the Aboriginals be any different?

Please understand, I am proud of who I am and I am proud of my "ancestory". But as a Canadian of Metis status I need to live like a Canadian to further the cause of Canada,not just my own selfish motives for my "group" and if that includes educating the masses (of Metis) that they can make a difference if they want by becoming part of a greater country instead of trying to tear it down, then that is what I will do.

Do not buy into the lie that the Metis people are a nation. At best we are a "subculture", but not a nation. Once in the 1800's we were, but not anymore. Metis can enjoy their traditions, but in the end they need to accept that they are a part of a bigger entity called "Canada"

Frank Godon said...

Maybe using the word "assimilation" was a hard word to use, and maybe a more PC word for all those who may not know the true definition of assimilation, would have been "Absorbed". But I will not back down from my belief that we should be of the Canadian culture and should embrace it if we are to succeed.

My cousin Will seems very upset over this also, and I can't figure this out since his and his fathers fortune was made in Canadian society and not the Metis culture. They didn't become millionaires by sticking to an archaric culture. They never lived the Metis culture as they tell it. His father and my father did, but Will never, and neither did I. Will was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, his family was very well off by the time he came along. He owes his good fortune to the mainstream Canadian culture, as do many of us. His other half is Mennonite, mine is English. Our fathers lived the Metis life, we never.

MetisMama said...

Ok – Métis Mama is on a learning curve with Blogging. When I set up the post the other day about the “Cultural Genocide” I was not referring to the Métis Nation. I was sent a post that was copied from another Blogger that I do not know. I was not impressed and I did not post it – It was more then disgusting, racist and defamatory to First Nations people. Now I know that everyone has an ability to express their personal opinion but in my opinion racial profiling of any group of people is just wrong. The cultural genocide/assimilation that I was inferring to is more the genocide of the First Nation people. For anyone that does not believe it existed read the history about the Beothuk people of the east coast when the Vikings arrived. Or refresh your history around the documented stories in relation to the alleged germ warfare that Lord Jeffery Amherst allegedly perpetuated during the Seven Year War in the mid 1700’s when he took Canada from the French for the British.

I am humored though – now we have gone from sharing views about a Métis Land Claim Case to somehow being identified by Frank Goden as a non working, non functional race of people seeking government handouts. I do understand that we are a part of our experiences and I do not know Frank’s experience – but I do know this – I frankly (no pun intended) do not have the experience of my community looking for handouts. I believe I have expressed in the past the great pride that so many in our community have that government hand outs were not my experience. In fact, I do not believe that I have ever presented us as a disadvantaged victim group of people. In spite of our history – we are strong, vibrant and working to right the wrongs of our community by setting an example of contributing citizens of our nation.

As for ‘Cultural Assimilation’ - I do not need to assimilate or support its’ existence neither – I much prefer ‘Cultural Pluralism’. Cultural Pluralism is what Louis Riel wrote about and it values all the members of society including the uniqueness of everyone’s cultural identity. In a pluralistic culture no one has to alter their identity to co exist. The last issue that I wish to address is the marginalizing of our culture by trying to define it through a fiddle, jig and sash. Anthropological definition of culture is the sum total of ways of living built by a group of human beings and transmitted from one generation to another. Our culture developed through our shared history and experiences. It is what our forefathers passed down through us that assisted us in being the defenders of our rights, that we continue even today. We were an egalitarian society that have always demonstrated their strong connection to community and family. The term ‘Otipemisiwak’ the people that own themselves was another component of the sense of independence that was passed down through the generations. Our culture is a result of our combined ancestor’s cultures and was modified because of the experiences that are grandmothers and grandfathers experienced because of the lifestyles of the voyageurs, buffalo hunters and rebellions. Even the Supreme Court of Canada has supported these views in the Powley decision and the Manitoba Court ruling in relation to the Land Claims does not try to separate the issue of our own cultural identity and heritage.

As for Mr. Frank Goden – I am not upset with him – I respect the fact that he also is a result of his experiences – whether that is Métis, Canadian, American or Russian. He has every right to his opinion - as I have the right to mine.

As our world changes – maybe the future generations will be a great deal more like Frank’s ideology – where the cultural differences are more confused and cultural integration is more prevalent. In the meantime I will attempt to ensure that my descendents remember our forefathers history, culture, values and beliefs.

Anonymous said...

Hey Frank:

"Assimilation can be the process through which people lose originally differentiating traits, such as dress, speech particularities or mannerisms, when they come into contact with another society or culture."


When you cut and paste from Wikepedia or other sources, you should really give credits, or what you write may be seen as plagerism.

Frank Godon said...

Anonymous

Usually I write something like "the definiton according to ....." but didn't this time. As I said before, I'm using a Russian computer with Russian spell checker and keyboard, so my spelling and word usage gets screwed up.

MM - I would like to reprint each step as given out by The Black Rod and have you point out to me the racism in what he wrote. I cannot find it, I only find what I perceive to be truth about the FN and yes even our Metis. If you don't wish to do it here, I would be more than happy to do it on DMB.

MetisMama said...

Frank - be my guest and send anything you want to DMB - I will not print it here.

Frank Godon said...

Ok I will post the steps one at a time, and give you and anyone else and opportunity to prove racism in what was written. Oh yea noticed you gave me a new last name. LOL. Don't worry it happens all the time. Here is some of the spellings that have been given in the past. Goodon (which some use today) Gooden, Gordon, Goodin, Godin, Goden, But I remain true to my ancestors spelling of Godon.

Anonymous said...

Frank,

Stop blaming your terrible spelling on a Russian computer and keyboard. We've all seen your writing while you're here in Canada it's just as bad. Invest in a dictionary.

Bad spelling is sloppy.

Frank Godon said...

Dikchunaryies are for 19th century hacks. I like 21st century technology, I just have to get an english spell checker for my puter. And put english letters on my keyboard.

Clare