Sunday, April 13, 2008

Sunday Contemplation

There is truth - there is opinion and then there is just downright nasty personality politics…

I have been spending some time reflecting and wondering – where do issues stop being issues and when does our personality game just become the greatest detriment that exists. I have witnessed some things as of late that have the elders talking to me now. One elder advised me that it is important in the turbulent times not to react to the ego but be about the truth. Be honest to yourself and truthful to those people you encounter – that will be what will protect the leaders that should be protected.

I inquired – how do we let people know the truth without becoming a part of the mean spiritedness that we watch some of our fellow Métis get caught up in? I was told – stick to the truth – remember there may be more then one truth – and always know that the truth is what is going to help people to understand. I was also advised not to abuse the ability to communicate with people by making it about myself or by attacking individuals in their personal lives.

Now what does that mean for those of us who care to listen – I can not tell you what it means for any of you – I know that for me it is important to act with integrity, responsibility, honesty, truthfulness, respect and kindness. Many times I have wanted to attack personal issues as they relate to comments that digress from the topic. I am going to do my best not to react to the personality based issues that I witness on many publications and communication tools that I have seen lately. It is more important to stay focused on raising awareness of issues and telling the truth and demonstrating the truth.

Also, I do have opinions – I often identify that they are my opinions. Are my opinions always right? Absolutely not – but if they made individuals think – that is what is important. They give people cause for debate so they can be critical thinkers and have their own ideas. Other peoples opinions are important to me because they help me to look at issues from another side.

As for the issue of not one but several sites where non-Métis people enter into the debate of Métisism– I want to first say that I probably do not always understand why they would even want to. I have never had any great desire to enter into issues that do not effect me in some manner – but obviously they are impassioned about us and want to be part of the debate. I do recognize that the majority of non-Métis who participate in ‘fighting the cause’ are either individuals who have been friends of the Métis, sometimes through marriage or have worked for an organization or government that involved Métis issues and programming. The part that is disconcerting in relation to this is – every time we challenge this issue is because we do not like what that non-Aboriginal person has said – but yet when we are struggling and can not seem to find solutions for our problems – have you noticed it is non-Aboriginal people we seek intervention from? Just a thought.

I can only reflect on me and make sure the reasons I am acting are not on behalf of myself. I do not sit in judgment of those who seem to have other agendas or causes because they have their own truths. I do ask one question though – how do we ensure we are a part of the solution and do not become part of the problem? Just another thought.

I hope your day is warm, sunny and full of spring thoughts. For the Todd family in Manitoba and all those families that have suffered with loss lately – like the Lavallee family – my heart goes out to each of you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doing a bit of soul searching are we Metis Mama?

Hope your Elder related that the truth never changes which is what makes it so simple, beautiful and,yes, above all powerful.

Both Metis and non-Metis people should get involved in the process - why not? We're all Canadian citizens who work hard to pay our taxes. There's no such phenonemon any more of Metis politics to the left, non-Metis politics stand on the right it's all interrelated. When Revenue Canada takes our money, it's not separated into two piles.

Like it or not we're all in this together. Once you can vision this picture everything will become clearer. The year is now 2008.

Anonymous said...

"The part that is disconcerting in relation to this is – every time we challenge this issue it is because we do not like what that non-Aboriginal person has said – but yet when we are struggling and can not seem to find solutions for our problems – have you noticed it is non-Aboriginal people we seek intervention from? Just a thought."

Metis Mama,

Case in point. It was David Chartrand and Clement Chartier who approached the courts for a resolution of the MNC mess not the other way around.

It took a Metis Superior Court of Ontario Justice (Todd Ducharme) to tell them, best the Metis people resolve this dispute among yourselves otherwise if the court system does it for you - you probably won't like the ruling.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work Metis Mama.

Not to worry, Metis Politics can be nasty at the best of times. Just look at what David Chartrand and Clem Chartier are doing to the MNC. They're taking it down to satisfy their own huge egos and lust for power. Do you really think they care about our people? If they did they wouldn't be doing this.

Frank Godon said...

Thank you for cleaning up comments on one of the other posts. We do need to stick to our debates as per, and comment or answer accordingly. Its not important if we can spell correctly or put words in proper form. If it relays the message we want to share then it has done its job. I like your blog, and the information you provide.

Anonymous said...

Completely agree with Frank Godon, we must stop calling people names. Right Frank?

Frank Godon said...

Now where in my comment did I say to stop calling people names? But it is a good idea.

If one would closely read my comments you will find that I always ask a person if they are this or that. :)