Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The weather is cold and the time has come for staying warm and deep thoughts ….

Since I was a young girl, my grandmother taught me to have a social conscious and to care about others. As a young Métis girl, I was taken everywhere, involved in everything and mentored to be a strong advocate in what I believed in. She taught me how to be proud of who I was and reprimanded me when she seen me take the easy road and not be all I could be.

As a young woman, my mother and grandmother took me to meetings, assemblies and gatherings. I watched and listened. In fact I could tell you many funny stories of the things that I would see. As a child you would watch the passion, the purpose and the intent with which the people would fight for what they believed. The people would have a way to express their vision, their dreams and the goals they wanted to achieve. Sometimes the arguments would last into the wee hours of the morning – but at the end of it all – we were community. We would reach out and touch each other with a warm hand and help. The tears and stories were shared and many laughs were had. We were family. We did not wait for someone to ask for help – we reached out and offered. The young people were there sitting right beside the old ones. Learning and mentoring to grow and to learn from the community that they were a part of.

Where has the community gone?

Now for those of you that are wondering what I am ranting about I will tell you. There is discussion about the Métis National Council and the attempt to rescue it. Then of course I have listened and participated in the discussions around the lack of financial credibility and political accountability from leaders that appear to have lost their sense of where they came from. So I came up with the maybe we are trying to make a Rolls Royce out of a Red River Cart and those old wooden squared off wheels are just not carrying us on a very smooth ride. Maybe it is time for a new cart!

The Métis National Council Secretariat seems to have outlived its’ usefulness. In 1982 –when the Métis were being represented by the Native Council of Canada – we needed to quickly move on the establishment of a National body that whose mandate, priority and focus was the Métis Nation. It was a quick but what was suppose to be a temporary fix until we could work on the establishment of a structure that was more reflective of the community it represents. We have never gone back to establish the constitutionally developed structure that put the will of the Métis first. We just kept trying to fix a corporate structure that was developed on governments requests instead of our needs. What we have ended up with is a territorial turf structure that is for a very small elite group who have forgot their community and the people they say they represent.

Do not get me wrong – I don’t believe that we have to throw the baby out with the bath water but maybe we need a phoenix to rise from the ashes of what Clem Chartier and David Chartrand appear to be hell bent on destroying. Some major issues that appear on the surface are:

∞ The organizational corporate structure will not accept changes to its existence or structure unless the Board of Governors from Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Alberta agree to the bylaw change. (Like that will happen anytime in the future.) And O yea – only the Board of Governors can change the bylaws …

∞ The organization is run by one President (based on the bylaws) that never has to have a Board of Governor meeting or never has to account or report for the decision he or she makes back to the community. In fact – when has Clem ever come to any of the provincial assemblies and explained his decisions or sought input into the actions he takes on your behalf.

∞ The election of the President, as David so kindly reminded everyone, is completed by 55 people who are appointed by the Governing Members (Provincial Presidents) who sit there. Now David would like to sit on his democratic song but I challenge any of you to review the past 10 AGA’s to see if the delegates from Manitoba or any other province were always elected – provincially. As in most things – we never live by the rhetoric we spew.

∞ I have left what I believe is the most important element for last – where are the young fresh thinking people. When you look at the people we are talking about potentially running it makes me think of a bunch of old cows standing in a field chewing on our cud. We keep regurgitating the same old people. Don’t get it wrong – I have the utmost respect for a few of these people – but when do we move over and let new ideas, outside of the box thinking and movement that would inspire our young people to get involved. In fact, the court order includes the delegate list – we might have a financial deficit in the audit but we have a much bigger one when it comes to anyone under 35’s involvement. We have no new leaders with vision, passion and the forethought to help us out of this mire. We have developed an institution that shelters the has beens. The past leaders use to bring the young ones with them – teach them – talk to them about leadership and share the passion of our culture. I guess what we have are few leaders and many dictators – we look more like organized crime then we do a nation of people.

Hence – I repeat maybe we need a Phoenix to Rise from the ashes maybe our Red River Cart needs some new round wheels. Just some thoughts on a cold snap – when reflection is good.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note - BC brought along their youth rep (not sure, but I think that is an elected position) to the attempt at a meeting in October as an alternate. She was young, well spoken, passionate and refreshing. So much so that the chair actually questioned her presence when she came to the table and dared speak out against David. Unfortunately, she was the exception instead of the norm. All of the young people in the room appeared to be staffers of MNC, naturally very concerned about their jobs and trying their best to deal with the peripheral and logistical aspects of the meeting, dispite all the turmoil around them.

Anonymous said...

Good point about the youth--there are some very well run, transparent organizations in the Metis world. There are some very good options. How about you Metis Mama--where is the woman's voice. Seasoned, wise people ought to be welcomed, encouraged and supported to run for leadership. We could use a little good old fashion values in the Nation about now.

sheree said...

Hello , my name is sheree and I am a member of the MNBC . I have my Metis card and attend local Metis mettings . I belong to a group in Langley BC , we are called Waycea ( many mountains ) . I am interested in conecting to other Metis and found your site . I have only attended Waycea meeting since sep of 07 . I also am on the mailing list of information from the MNBC , although some of it is unreadable to me as I am on a mac . I just wanted to say hello and let you know that I enjoyed your blog and find it very interesting . I am working on informing myself about many issues you have raised .

Frank Godon said...

When someone does step forward to accept responsibility and offer a change or vision - they can't get anywhere unless they have the blessing of the governors - and like thats gonna happen if they want to change the formate which would more than likely keep the governors accountable.

Anonymous said...

Here is something interesting

http://local845.ca/

full text:

Notice of Special Meeting
Tag: Local 845, News — Aaron Fay @ 4:27 pm
Members of the Metis Nation of Alberta

A Special Meeting will be held on February 19th at 6pm at the Office of the Local 845 North Rear Bay, Friendship Centre, 4917 52 Street, Rocky Mountain House

Phone/Fax (403) 844-4628
Email: mail@local845.ca

Resolution Concerning: Removal from Provincial office of Vice President MNA Region 3, Joe Chodzicki

Resolution Concerning: Removal from Provincial office and vote of Non Confidence regarding Vice President MNA Trevor Gladue

Anonymous said...

I agree with your comments about the old guard. These are the guys that have a sense of entitlement and think that they walk on water. The way they have abused the processes such as hiring family and friends & spending money travelling all over the workd. It's scary to think that MMF or MNO would even think of running for president fo the Nation. They've run their own orgs into the ground & disgraced the Nation. Now to think theyve lost funding becasue of theri shenanagins. Shame on them. Shame on us if they ever again get into an elected position.

Anonymous said...

Metis Mama,

Your blog has struck a place in my heart. My mother and father raised us in the Metis community, my uncles and aunts, with a strong sense of family kept us all together and when one of us required help, we were there for each other. My mothers house was open to those in need, and there was many a time that I awoke with a Metis person not having somewhere to stay that evening, crashed on mom's couch. With this governance structure it has wiping out our sense of community, we did not live with Non-aboriginal governance of Agendas, and formality. The Governance was formed and carried out in the Community gatherings. Suddenly a AGM occurs and only a select few can afford to travel to Kelowna or on the MNBC financial books, that is not representing the grassroots people who cannot be part of the Governance.
There needs to be some serious rethinking of governance, and by the way it is not PATRONAGE APPOINTMENTS like the MNBC is currently preforming. SONS and Daughters of current employees are hired without competition, and the MNBC even has a Nepotism Guidelines in that book that they wish to hurl at the METIS people to maintain their control over those that question Governance.

The worst thing about our governance is that it is perceived to be democratic, but it is far from it, and that extends right to the top of the MNC. Keep on trucking Metis Mama, I AM behind you.

Anonymous said...

As a forementioned comment that I posted, I agree there has be a new direction, and something different that what the MNBC can offer from my experience.

At one time I was empowered to be part of my future and destiny, and in one fowl swoop that vision was taken away by MNBC's actions. To date there has never been any apology.

There is one small problem on the part of the MNBC governance structure, with me as a Metis person, I am in control over my future, and my life NO one will play politics with. I am metis from the Red River with a long line of Historic ancestors, with highly mentionable contributions to the Metis people. MNBC and MNC do not have the Visions of the people. They have received recent attention from the DFO and the Provincial government but those are first steps as long as US as A NATION can stand together. It is the Metis people that these changes are coming why do I feel like I am an outsider, and not part of the decisions being made upon my behalf? Those that stand up believe they are leaders in reality they are only Dictators.

As I said before Make the MNGA accessible to the average Metis person, not selective. I also see the Registry as playing Political selection. Not good policy

Anonymous said...

Thank you Metis Momma, you are right on target with your comments.

Could not have said it better myself

Mary. S.I.M.N.

We are not affliated with the MPCBC/MNBC/MNC since the big Metis Removal in I beleive it was 2003 or was that 2002 at the Duncan AGM, under the leadership of Harley DesJarlais.

I note though, the MPCBC/MNBC has absolutely no problem stating that they represent All Metis in B.C. which in fact they removed approximately 90% of the Metis Membership back in 2002/2003

So then what do they do with those collected funds for Self-Identified Metis who are not accepted by the
Organization?

Anyone Know?

Anonymous said...

Hello there
Metis Mama and Derryl Anderson You All are a Topic of an Editorial on
Nova Metis Newslink.

http://www.novametisnewslink.ca

Check it out.. :0) I put it on here for all who want to see.

Keep up the good work folks.

Mary